Saturday, July 19, 2008

Wedding Fun!

My friend Marja, who lives in EEK, has been out of town for a couple weeks working at summer camps. She's a youth development volunteer and while the youth center is closed during July and August, she is working at a summer camp near Casablanca. Her host sister got married last night, and I went with Marja to the wedding.

Weddings are normally 3 days long, but this one was crammed into one. Normally, the first day is for the groom, the second day for the bride and the third day for the couple. I'm still trying to figure out everything involved in the weddings. They are usually held at home, but are still expensive affairs. We arrived at 10pm in time to hang out for a couple hours before things really started happening. The women were in one room, men in another. We drank tea and ate dinner around 12:30am. By the time the meal was finished it was pushing 2am and everyone moved to the roof.

It had been tented and the floor covered with carpets. There were ponjs around the perimeter and pillows on the floor where people could sit. It was quickly crowded and more and more people kept coming. Apparently, since the party goes all night, the neighbors all join in for this portion of the party. They family had hired a “band” - I forget the proper name for them, but its a group of male musicians that includes a drum, violin, recorder-like instrument and a vocalist. There are also four women who do traditional dances.

We stayed until 4:30am and the groom still hadn't made his appearance! There was dancing and singing and they did some things with the bride while we were there, but I'm pretty sure we missed the actual “wedding.” I kept getting wafts of what I thought smelled like beer, but dismissed it as my mind playing tricks on me. I later learned that there was indeed “shrab” or alcohol at the party.

The dancing was interesting, because the corner with the alcohol was surrounded by all the young men. The next layer of people was young women and there was quite a bit of male/female dancing in that corner of the roof. I was somewhat surprised - although Morocco is more tolerant than other Muslim countries, I hadn't seen men and women dance together.

No comments: