Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Party

I slept in today and when I finally emerged from my room, after reading for a while, it was nearly 11am! While I ate breakfast, my 2 year old host cousin, Samir, walked in wearing dress clothes. He was antsy, so I took his picture and asked him where he was going. I thought my host mom told me it was a wedding, but it turned out to be a party for a boy being circumcised, I think. They invited me to go and gave me a “taksheda” to wear. It's kind of like a jellaba, but doesn't have a hood and its fancy. It was absolutely beautiful and I accompanied Fatima and Mouna to the party.

It was your typical Moroccan party – we hung out for a while and then drank tea. Once everyone arrived, we ate lunch. There's a special occasion dish I've eaten a few times here, which always poses a challenge for me. Its a big hunk of meat served over a bed of onions and topped with either olives or stewed dates. It tastes a lot better than it may sound and I enjoy eating the onions, olives and dates, but the people at parties are always miffed when I don't touch the meat. In some cases even breaking off chunks and putting them in front of me! I'm wasn't worried when it showed up today, because there is usually a second course that is more appealing to me.

But my host mom was worried about me and she asked the hostess to bring a bowl of onions and olives for me, which the hostess happily did. Problem was, this happened after they had kept telling me to eat and I'd eaten a bunch of bread. So, I ate some of the extra food, but couldn't eat it all, plus they brought out another course! It was yummy – buttered spaghetti noodles topped with crushed peanuts and sugar. Delicious!

After lunch, many of the woman made a dash for the door, my host mom and Mouna included. I had befriended a couple of the girls at the party and they asked me to stay for the “hadus.” I stayed and danced with the women – a hadus seems to be anything that involves a drum and dancing. Someone drums and chants a song which others join in. Sometimes its a call and answer style. Eventually a couple girls start dancing and by the end all of the women were dancing. It was a lot of fun!

I went home with Fatima and her daughter, Mamaw who are somehow related to my host family. My host mom was coming there for evening tea. Fatima's brother, Mohamed, has always been kind to me and he started talking to me and asking me questions partly in French and partly in Tamazight. I was holding my own for a couple minutes until he asked me about Israel. My standard answer is that I don't know enough about the situation to form an opinion, but he wasn't accepting this. Thankfully, but also infuriatingly, Mamaw chimed in and asked why he was talking to me because “she doesn't understand Tamazight.” I was thankful for the interruption, but so maddened by her comment. It is so frustrating, especially when I've just conversed with someone for a couple minutes and then I don't understand something and they tell me I don't know any Tamazight or that I don't understand anything. Sometimes makes me want to scream!

The rest of the day was uneventful. There was a wedding in town and my family was going to watch, at 12 or 1am! I opted to sleep instead.

No comments: