Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Site Visit

I don't think I explained how PC Morocco is structured. There are four program areas – Youth Development, Small Business Development, Health and Environment. Each program has a manager and assistant – all are Moroccan and have extensive experience in their field. My program manager is named Mohissine (Mo) and our assistant is Aicha. Both are awesome – well-informed, supportive, approachable and responsive to my requests for information. Throughout the month of July, they are visiting all of the new volunteers to make sure everything is going well.

Mo visited me today and I was a little nervous about it, but everything went well. I went for my usual walk this morning and came home sweaty and ready for a bucket bath. Much to my dismay, the water in my village was turned off! I hadn't had a “real” shower since Fez and it had been a couple days since my last bucket bath, plus its been hot, so I was feeling rather rank. Oh well, I thought, I'm sure Mo has seen volunteers in worse shape than me. I put on fresh clothes and did my best to clean up, which is difficult when you don't have water.

I met Mo just after lunch, around 3pm and we went to a cafe to chat and have a limonada (code word for soda). We were there for a couple hours chatting about the situation in my village, potential projects, my host family, my family at home, etc. It was a good talk and very reassuring that I'm on the right track. Then we went to check on my apartment.

I had asked my host father for help finding an apartment and he showed me one which, thankfully, worked for me. I got the impression that it was this one or I was on my own, so I'm glad I liked it. Its just down the street from my host family and close to the center of town. I should be able to see the bus from my window and know when to go out to catch it! When we saw the apartment for the first time a couple weeks ago, another man from the Commune went with us to see it. I thought he owned the building, but he told me to negotiate rent with my host father. PC had scoped the real estate market when the chose my village and determined an acceptable amount of monthly rent, which I wasn't allowed to exceed. This amount was fine with my host father and we filled out a rental agreement earlier this week.

When Mo and I went to see the apartment, Mohammed, the man from the commune told Mo that his mother owns the building and she wasn't happy about renting the apartment to me for the previously agreed amount. She wanted 25% more per month! They went back and forth in Arabic, so I didn't really understand, but Mo told him that once we saw it, he would decide if it was worth the increased price.

Luckily, he decided it was – when we got there, a man was painting all the walls and window and door trim! It had looked pretty shabby when I saw the apartment and I had asked if I could paint. I don't know if there was a misunderstanding or if they wanted to fix it up, but I'm so glad they are painting it! They are also going to put new fixtures on all the windows so they lock properly. I kind of wonder if the mother story was a ploy to get a little extra money – I've heard so many stories like that and PC has warned us that we will always be seen as a rich American, although I recently learned we make less per month than welfare recipients.

I said goodbye to Mo and he set off to return to Khenifra. As I turned the corner on my street, I could smell the smoke of a wood fire. My heart soared when I saw smoke coming from my family's roof – the hammam was stoked up! Oh the absolute joy in my heart when I realized I'd get a good scrubbing. Its been a couple weeks since I've been to the hammam and I was starting to notice the effects. There's really only so much you can do with a bucket of cold water and a bandanna. The hammam was wonderful and I am once again squeaky clean. In the heat, it won't last long, but I will savor it while it lasts. By the way, my apartment doesn't have a shower, so I am hoping I can continue to join my host family for the weekly hammam.

No comments: