Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Another Swim!

Today was a holiday in Morocco, so I met Elisabeth, Anna and Tori to go swimming! We went to Tori's village and swam in the river. It was blissful! The sun was shining and it was hot – we worked up a good sweat on the hike to the river and the water was cold and refreshing. There is sand in the river and its really goupy. I was goofing around and rubbing it on my arms claiming to be giving myself a beauty treatment. Pretty soon, Tori, Elisabeth and I were covered in mud! It was fun and actually helped cool us off as we sat in the sun for a while.

Peace Corps sometimes reminds me of being in high school again. Although everyone is a college graduate, I feel like we are in some warped version of Sweet Valley High. The gossip mill is amazingly swift and vicious. I was happily out of the loop during training – I would much rather talk with friends about their experiences and lives than talk about other people. But one of the volunteers close to me is plugged into the rumor circuit and happily shares information and conversations had in confidence. While its nice to know how other volunteers are doing, all of the extraneous commentary and judgments seem so immature and hurtful. I feel like I have to be careful what I say around this person and I don't like being so guarded.

I guess its to be expected...there are approximately 200 volunteers in Morocco and when almost your entire life – friends, support network, significant others, co-workers, etc. are contained within such a small community, news is bound to travel fast.

No comments: