Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Gender and Development Council

I am the 2008 Environment Stage's representative for the Gender and Development (GAD) Council! Worldwide, Peace Corps is committed to ensuring that everyone - women, children and men - are included in the development process. The GAD Council in Morocco works toward this goal and works to ensure that gender issues and activities are incorporated into community projects. I think all PC countries have a similar committee. I am very excited about this role and especially look forward to helping advance the opportunities for women and children in Morocco.

I knew I was interested in representing my Stage on one of the several PCV committees, but wasn't sure where I would be most effective. Over the first two weeks living with my host family, I'd realized that my host sisters were "waiting to be married." Because my village is more conservative and at the lower end of the economic ladder, they stopped attending school after the equivalent of U.S. elementary school. It is heart-breaking to think that the rest of their days will be spent much the same as they are today – working in the fields, tending house, making handicrafts, and maybe someday caring for their husband and children. That realization fueled my interest in serving on the GAD Council.

It also forced me to reflect on how lucky I am. I chose to quit my well-paying, professionally satisfying job in downtown Chicago to move across the ocean to live in a country I knew very little about. I also had many other choices besides PC, for example a new job, perhaps in a new city, graduate school, or any number of other service programs to choose from. I don't think my host sisters consider options other than marriage and a family. Many people have talked about the sacrifices I am making, but I see it as a privilege. Very few people I've met in Morocco can fathom, nor afford to do something like this. I have my family supporting me – without their help, both emotional and physical, I couldn't do this. I have a fantastic group of friends who anxiously await my emails an blog postings and send me fantastic letters and care packages.
I am excited about this opportunity. It will also give me a chance to get to know PC staff better, meet volunteers from the other sectors, and travel to Rabat 3 times per year for our meetings. I'll also have a reason to keep in touch with everyone in my training group!

No comments: