Friday, April 11, 2008

Phone call!

My friend Mary called me today! It was awesome to hear from her and to talk to someone back home. I've talked to my parents and sister pretty regularly, but haven't talked to any of my friends yet. It was wonderful to hear her voice.


We had a party for all of our host families' this evening. Malika, a PC staff person came out for the afternoon and helped translate their questions and our responses. It was a festive evening with all of the women getting dressed up. My host sisters and host mom were dressed to impress, they were all wearing perfume and someone even had high heels on! We talked about all kinds of things, ranging from our backgrounds, to the U.S. traditions on dating and marriage!
It was great to be able to communicate better with our host families. My host father told us that they loving having us and want us to feel like a member of the family. He emphasized that they want to keep in touch with us even after we leave. My host mom said that when they laugh, its not at us, but hopefully with us. I've felt like we were laughing together at my verbal clumsiness and lack of knowledge of how things work in a Moroccan household, so it was nice to hear that they feel the same way.

No comments: