Friday, April 25, 2008

Site Announcements!


The much anticipated announcement of our final sites took place this morning. Towards the end of breakfast, Aicha posted a list on the bulletin board, but didn't tell anyone it was there. I saw her walk away and went to see what she had posted. I saw that I was in Khenifra province with 4 other volunteers. They had told us that they would be placing a team in Khenifra, and now I knew I was on it! Then, I saw that my roommate, Tori, was also on the team. I looked around the room and didn't see her. I was so excited, I ran upstairs and threw open the door to our room. Tori was brushing her teeth and I breathlessly told her we were going to Khenifra together. We jumped up and down and hugged each other before running back downstairs to get more information.


We each received a packet of information about our future homes information about our host families, the village, previous PC activities, etc. I'm going to be near Khenifra which is just south of Fes and Meknes. They are placing a total of 5 volunteers from my environment group in the area and we'll all be within 2 hours of each other. In addition to working in our villages, we'll be working as a team to extend environmental education in the province. Not sure what that will entail, but it means we get to meet every two weeks in Khenifra to work together.
My village, SYO, has 8500 people, is about 60k from Khenifra and about 13k from EEK which is a town larger than mine, but not as big as Khenifra. EEK has a cyber cafe, which means I should be able to access email about once a week.


The other volunteers on the K-5 team are Elizabeth, Jake, Sarah and Tori. All five of us are new sites, which means the villages haven't had PC volunteers before. We will be working with a project called MEDA. It is a joint project funded by the European Union and the Moroccan government. I don't know much more than that, but I'll let you know when I have more information! We leave tomorrow to visit our sites for a week.

No comments: