Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Ups and Downs of Being a PC Trainee

Today was one of those days that started out great because we had hot water and the hotel had fixed the hole in our shower hose! So, I got a hot shower that actually had water pressure! YAY! It was kind of down hill from there as we got a couple immunizations including typhoid, which really knocked the wind out of my sails. The doctor was running behind schedule with the shots, so I was late to our next training session. When I asked a question, the staff person leading the session made a point of the fact that he'd already covered the topic and indirectly reprimanded me in front of the group. He didn't give me a chance to explain why I was late, so I felt like I was back in high school.

By the time lunch rolled around, I was feeling crummy from the typhoid shot and the reprimand, so I dug into the stockpile of cards my parents tucked into my backpack before I left. I'd been saving them for this kind of situation, when I needed a pick-me-up and some encouraging words from home. I eenie-meenie-minee-moed the stack and opened one up. Somehow, that card was exactly what I needed. After a good cry and a hug from my roommate, I was feeling better, but not great.

Our afternoon project was to interview a couple people about their day to day lives. We broke into same gender groups, so the guys could interview men and the female volunteers could interview women. My group talked to a couple women relaxing in the square outside our hotel. They were open and friendly and happily answered our questions about how they spend their time. We were heading back when a young woman crossed the square in our direction. We decided to take a few more minutes to interview her. She turned out to be a high school student on her way back to class. She gladly told us about her typical day and when she learned we were PC volunteers, welcomed us to Morocco and wished us the best in our endeavors. When we said goodbye, she went around the group and gave us each one of the traditional greetings, which includes a gentle touching of hands (think weak girlie handshake) and then a cheek to cheek kiss (similar to the stereotypical French greeting) on both cheeks. There was something so simple and human in her gesture that immediately lifted my spirits.

It is the small moments like this one that balance the more challenging times.

No comments: