Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Not so Grand, Grand Taxi

A grand taxi sounds, well, grand doesn't it? In Morocco, grand taxis shuttle people between larger cities. The taxis are old yellow Mercedes 4-door sedan cars, which typically hold the driver, plus 6, yes 6, passengers. There are 4 passengers in the back seat and 2 in the front passenger seat! PC has recommended that when traveling by ourselves, female volunteers purchase two seats and sit in the front seat alone. Now I know why!

My CBT group, which includes Sarah, Liz, Arik and Dan, plus our LCF Hoda, piled ourselves into a grand taxi for the hour and a half drive from Ouarzazate to our village of Ait Khiar. I shared the front seat with Dan and it was an uncomfortable ride. There isn't really room for two people in the front seat, especially since it was a manual transmission car - Dan had to move whenever we shifted gears. Yikes! I will definitely be buying two seats if I'm traveling alone.

No comments: