Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tamazeight

After much anticipation, we found out which language we'll be learning! Morocco has an abudance of languages - Moroccan Arabic, French, and 3 Berber dialects. Moroccan Arabic and French are spoken mainly in the cities and for conducting business. The Berber dialects are spoken in the rural Atlas and Rif Mountain areas and for that reason a majority of PC volunteers learn one of the Berber dialects. The prime language among PC trainees is Moroccan Arabic, as it can be a jumping off point to learn classic Arabic and is also a great language to know, but only 5 people are learning that language. I'll be learning Tamazeight, which is spoken in the Middle and High Atlas Mountians!

In my interview with the Environmental Program Director, I also learned that I'll likely be working with a women's association or working to organize one! It sounds like an exciting and challenging assignment as I'll need to establish relationships the women in the village as well as earn the trust of the men. We've learned a bit about the PC's approach to development and it is all about capacity building. I knew I liked the PC for a reason - our assignment is to build the human capacity in our village through education, training and support to allow the village to help itself long after we leave. What could be better?

No comments: