Saturday, June 7, 2008

Transportation

My village is 4k from the main road to Khenifra and if there aren't any taxis or mini buses in my village I start walking to the main road, where there is a taxi stand and a few cafe's. This morning was a walking day, so I set out for the main road. A car I recognized from my village passed but didn't stop to offer me a ride and then a taxi went by and it didn't stop either. I was beginning to think that I would actually end up walking all the way, when I happened upon my host father getting his car fixed. He was talking to a group of men and I stopped to say hello.

A man I'd met previously was among the group and he asked if I remembered him. I did but couldn't remember his name. He gave me a hard time about it because he remembered mine and I tried to explain that it was easy for him to remember my name because I am the only white girl in town. There are 4,000 people in the Sisterhood and I am meeting so many people its hard to remember everyone's name. I have taken to writing them down along with an identifying characteristic, so I had Said write his name in my notebook. He drives an orange car.

Said ended up driving me out to the main road where we hung out for a while. An empty mini bus passed and they flagged it down. The driver was a friend of Said's and agreed to take me to Khenifra. He and his passenger were from my town and going to spend the day in Khenifra. Apparently the mini bus was the only vehicle they had to drive. We chatted in Tamazight and when we arrived in Khenifra would not accept payment and insisted on taking me out for coffee, which I really couldn't refuse.

No comments: