Monday, June 23, 2008

My First Joke!

I was sitting in the way back of seat of a station wagon taxi waiting to go back to my village this afternoon, when I understood my first joke in Tamazight! The last passenger to show up had some large sacks of grain, which the driver was trying to fit in the trunk. Unfortunately, the other passengers had placed their souk purchases – mostly fruits and vegetables in the trunk and people were admonishing the driver to be careful not to crush their fruit. I was taking it all in, when the driver pulled out a plastic bag of figs and handed it to the man sitting in front of me. He examined his figs and declared, “These aren't figs, this is jam! Where's the sugar I bought? I'll just add it now.” I busted up laughing and then realized that I had understood what he said. People usually take notice and are really excited when they realize I speak Tamazight but today, no one noticed. I was a little disappointed that not one of the 10 or so people noticed that I was laughing with them, but I was pleased with myself for my progress at understanding the conversations taking place around me.

No comments: