Friday, May 23, 2008

Meeting our Counterparts

The MEDA staff had planned a farewell party for Matt and Sarah and invited the K-5 to attend. We all returned to the office this afternoon to send them on their way. All 20+ staff were there, so we finally met everyone. The party was reminiscent of the going away parties I've attended for co-workers in U.S. There were cookies and soda and toasting of the departing parties. No roasting - I don't think it is culturally appropriate to tease or point out traits or situations where people haven't been at their best.
Mr. S even prepared remarks about both Sarah and Matt. He had a fatherly air about him as he spoke of their growth and achievements over the past two years. It was kind of funny because he spoke French and then Sarah translated to English for the K-5. He would say something about how great she was and she would smile or laugh and then tell us what he said. She also translated for Matt, so she would exclaim over what Mr. S said about Matt and then tell Matt what he said.
I spent last night and will again tonight with Marja, a youth development volunteer in a village between Khenifra and mine. I'll call it EEK since I can't disclose our exact locations. MEDA employs a couple drivers, one of whom lives in her village. He graciously drove us back to Marja's and detoured to the bus station on the way. Both Sarah (K-5, not the departing one) and I had shipped bags from Ouarzazate and they were waiting for us at the bus station.
I am excited about what lies ahead – the MEDA staff were warm and welcoming and genuinely excited to have us working with them. Seeing the way they interacted with Matt and Sarah reminded me of the relationships with co-workers I left in the States and that was encouraging. They laughed and joked and teased each other which indicated to me that they had more than a professional relationship and were also friends. I look forward to developing those relationships. Everyone also went out of their way to welcome us and make us feel at home.

No comments: