Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Free Bananas

Although I was feeling better today, after sleeping for most of the afternoon yesterday, I still couldn't stomach much food. The hotel serves a lot of vegetables at lunch and dinner, but they always put cilantro on everything. I am not a big fan of cilantro, but have been eating the veggies for the past three months. Its starting to catch up to me though. With a somewhat upset stomach and a mostly empty one, the veggies just weren't cutting it for dinner tonight. Plus, they served a special pastilla dinner and didn't offer a vegetarian option like they usually do. Pastilla is a meat pie-like dish that is dusted with powdered sugar. I'm told its great, but I still haven't incorporated meat into my diet. I was hungry and there wasn't much to eat.
I walked over to my favorite vegetable stand to buy a couple bananas. Local fruit is extremely inexpensive, so my 2 bananas were about 3Dh ($0.40). I didn't have anything smaller than a 20Dh bill and he didn't have change so he told me to just take them. I can't tell you how much it made my day. I felt like I was finally starting to be at home. He recognizes me, knows I'll come back and pay him tomorrow and treated me the way he would any of his regular Moroccan customers.

No comments: